Job offersmore »
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe - Benelux and Scandinavia
- Grower Manager - Tuakau, New Zealand
- Sales representative - (TN, KY, NC, SC and GA) USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Aiming to double banana production by 2025
India: National Banana FestivalThe National Banana Festival, a confluence of both researchers in the field of banana cultivation and banana farmers from across the country, started last Saturday at the Vellayani Temple Ground in Kalliyoor. Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh inaugurated the festival, saying that the government aims to double the production of bananas by 2025.
The area under banana cultivation in Kerala, up to 2013-14, was 118,697 hectares. Due to the initiative of the Central and State governments, the area has increased by 21,200 hectares over the last three years.
Radha Mohan Singh said the government decision to set up 32 special agricultural zones for different crops -including bananas- would be a major boost to the agricultural sector of the State.
Deccanchronicle.com quoted Singh as saying: “In India, the production and productivity of banana has considerably increased due to the adoption of high density planting, use of tissue culture plants and other interventions in post-harvest management. As many as 11,809 pack houses and 3,492,000 tonnes of cold storage capacity have been created over the last three and a half years.”
Publication date: 2/19/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: