Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
State of Maharashtra
Hailstorm hits 35,000 hectares of orange orchards in IndiaThe hailstorm that swept over the state in the last couple of days, has damaged orange orchards spread over 35,000 hectares in Maharashtra.
The crops were damaged just days before the start of harvesting season. But the orange growers suffered a double whammy as the hailstorm also affected the flowering for the next crop.
Two regions within Maharashtra -Marathwada and Vidarbha- were the worst hit by the adverse weather conditions, which prevailed from Sunday to Tuesday.
To add insult to injury, a large number of regional farmers -having failed to meet the tough conditions imposed by insurance companies- had opted not to insure their crops. According to financialexpress.com, around 25,000 to 30,000 growers cultivate oranges for a livelihood in the affected region.
Publication date: 2/19/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: