- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Status of dams 14-02-2018
NAMC sets up advisory platform on drought response
Click here to see the status of dams in South Africa
Department of water and sanitation
The Committee consists of representatives from organised agriculture, agribusiness, government, academia and research institutions. This broad representation gives it a credibility that ensures that its recommendations are comprehensive, practical and relevant, taking current knowledge and research outcomes into account.
“Section 7 of its founding legislation, the Marketing of Agricultural Products Act of 1996, mandates the NAMC to carry out special investigations on matters of concern to the agricultural industry. The current drought from which some parts of the country are struggling to recover, is one such matter”, said the NAMC Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Zama Xalisa, following the fifth meeting of the Committee set up with under the approval of Minister Zokwana during the height of the drought that has ravaged the country since 2015.
Harry Prinsloo, the Deputy Chairman of the NAMC and the current Chairperson of the Section 7 Committee on Drought remarked, “The NAMC must step in to use its convening advantages to bring together agribusiness, the banking sector, academia, government and other stakeholders to deal with this serious matter.” He added: “This committee must come up with a smart drought disaster management plan using reliable data, intelligence and state of the art analytical tools to advise current policy processes around drought and disaster response, and must focus on interventions that mitigate the anticipated long-term recovery from this drought and the past drought in 2015/16.”
The Committee will produce evidence of the economic impact of drought on key agricultural subsectors in South Africa and present possible future scenarios to show outcomes of various responses to drought. “The Western Cape, and parts of Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, Free State and North West are currently reeling from this devastating drought, and urgent policy responses are now required to shield the economy from a severe blow that could even threaten the achievement of the goals of the National Development Plan (NDP).” said Xalisa.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/25/2018 Fruit Attraction 2018 announces Tapas Verdes contest for non-professional chefs
- 09/25/2018 DOGK: “This project is an opportunity for growth"
- 09/24/2018 Photo Report: World Food Moscow 2018
- 09/21/2018 Cydiance displays products in Peruvian Expoalimentaria
- 09/20/2018 37th edition of the IKO Conference
- 09/19/2018 Indiana: How agriculture technologies can be scaled up to save lives
- 09/19/2018 FreshStart conference returns in January 2019
- 09/19/2018 Mac Fruit Attraction Egypt - Cairo 2018: a global brand for fresh produce!
- 09/18/2018 Royal Mas's “Little Durian" brand to hold promotion event in Shanghai
- 09/18/2018 Registration for British Carrot Demonstration Day has opened
- 09/18/2018 Sustainability in agriculture: the Mater-Bi mulching film at Agricultural Film 2018
- 09/17/2018 FPAA to hold first ever women’s leadership invitational
- 09/17/2018 CIV at Asia Fruit Logistica: new successful apple, pear and strawberry varieties!
- 09/17/2018 ”Fresh Business Expo proven to be effective platform for Ukraine's fresh produce industry”
- 09/14/2018 "The future of fruit is digital"
- 09/14/2018 Keeping fresh fruit and vegetables relevant in the future
- 09/13/2018 Portugal: Short-Course on “Quality and Safety of Fresh-cut Produce”
- 09/13/2018 Interpoma 2018; “The Apple in the World” congress looks East
- 09/13/2018 Innovations and vegetable varieties at Bakker Brothers open days 2018
- 09/13/2018 Seminis announces Brassica iX event in Enkhuizen