- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Some 35 place names in Iceland
- HOFER discounter launches offensive to reduce packaging waste
- Spain: A project to fight against fraud and varietal piracy in citrus fruits
- US: Agri losses from Florence will be extensive
- "Potato markets supported by confirmation of low yields throughout Western Europe"
Range of Swiss cultivated organic mushrooms extended
Swiss mushroom production is therefore following a clear consumer trend. The average weekly sales of organic mushrooms in the period under review has increased noticeably since 2015, reaching a peak of 11.3 tonnes in November 2017.
Demand for organic has increased
From January to November 2017, 439 tonnes of organic mushrooms were purchased, almost twice as much as two years earlier (Jan-Nov 2015: 230 tonnes). In contrast, conventionally produced mushrooms did not show a consistent trend and their sales volumes fluctuated seasonally. Thus, the average share of organic products within total mushroom sales increased from 4.6% (2015) to 6.7% (2016), finally reaching 9.1% (Jan-Nov 2017).
Organic price ranges are widening
An analysis of the prices of white mushrooms in the traditional retail trade shows that the price difference between organically and conventionally produced mushrooms averaged 7.4% between January 2015 and November 2017. This is little compared to the fruit and vegetables sector, which is due to the fact that the organic mushrooms mostly consisted of cheaper, foreign imports. The price for organic mushrooms has also fallen by mid-2017. The low prices of December 2016, which can be attributed to high levels of activity in imported organic goods, is particularly striking.
The picture changes with the arrival of the new Swiss organic mushrooms (white and brown). They get higher prices in the retail trade than their foreign counterparts. This is also reflected in the price trend: the average price for organic mushrooms was 15.65 CHF (13.57 euros) per kg at the beginning of January, almost 24% higher than the price for conventionally produced mushrooms. Thus, the new range has significant effects on the market for organic mushrooms.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 Organic edible flowers in pots: maximized freshness at one's fingertips
- 09/20/2018 Who is buying the most organic groceries?
- 09/20/2018 Italy: Demand increasing for organic sprouts
- 09/20/2018 France: "There is a serious shortage in organic producers"
- 09/19/2018 US: Record number of Organic Trade Association members vote in Board election
- 09/19/2018 Grower roundtable keynote presentation announced for OGS 2018
- 09/19/2018 Organto commences sales of organic asparagus
- 09/18/2018 Washington grower expands organic category
- 09/14/2018 Organic avocado supplies are shifting - California still in play
- 09/13/2018 Italy: Great success for organic mushrooms
- 09/12/2018 Italy: Sana 2018 organic fair
- 09/12/2018 New Zealand's organic sector showing major growth
- 09/11/2018 Organic supplier SunFresh takes new approach to developing new brand
- 09/11/2018 Costco sponsoring 'Meet the Grower' at Organic Grower Summit
- 09/07/2018 Organic sector starts autumn at fair in Lyon
- 09/07/2018 Organto begins sales of organic ginger and expands supply base
- 09/07/2018 Organic Trade Association drives move toward voluntary organic check-off
- 09/07/2018 Largest organic nursery in Central America inaugurated in Panama
- 09/06/2018 India: Daily market for local produce established in Dimapur
- 09/06/2018 What is the status of organic agriculture in Mexico?