Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
The year's first six ton supply shipped to Japan
Farmers in central Taiwan confident Japanese will love their 'Oolong Bananas'Taiwanese banana growers in Yunlin County shipped the year’s first batch of special “Oolong Bananas” to the Japanese market on Feb. 12. These bananas get their name from their sweet aroma, which sets them apart from other bananas. They are in high demand from Japanese traders.
The Citong Fruit and Vegetable Cooperative in Yunlin that is marketing the bananas hopes they do well in Japan, thus boosting sales for banana growers in the region. The workers eagerly worked through the weekend to have the six ton shipment ready.
Taiwannews.com reports that bananas are the most important agriculture export product to Japan; with Taiwan in the past exporting over 20,000 tons a year. In recent years, competition with banana exporters from Southeast Asia, and an increased domestic demand caused a drastic drop in banana exports to Japan, falling back to some 1,000 tons.
Now it appears there is an incredibly lucrative opening for the banana growers of Yunlin and Taiwan. Taiwan may just revive its reputation as the “Banana Kingdom.”
Publication date: 2/14/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: