Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
- Spain: Report accuses major veg producer of severe environmental damage
- Grape grower-shipper opens new warehouse in Nogales, AZ
- One of New Zealand’s newest apple varieties starts Dazzling the world
- AU: New technology delivering biodegradable produce labels
- China: Dragon fruit prices down slightly compared to previous years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: APHIS amends regulations for new cold treatment facilitiesThe U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is amending its treatment regulations to standardize the process for approving new cold treatment facilities in southern and western U.S. States.
“We are also establishing generic criteria that these facilities must follow to safely treat imported commodities,” APHIS said in a release.
While the new process will eliminate the rulemaking requirement for new cold treatment facilities in southern and western states, APHIS said it will still evaluate each proposed location and approve it only after sufficient safeguards are identified and concurrence from the pertinent state is obtained.
In addition, APHIS said it is amending requirements to codify existing treatment procedures for fruits and vegetables and make them more consistent, transparent and enforceable.
These actions include:
- Expanding fruit cutting and inspection to commodities that have been cold-treated for a wider variety of pests of concern, not just Mediterranean fruit fly
- Requiring compliance agreements for most treatment facilities and providers, including those who conduct fumigations or operate a fumigation facility in the United States
- Harmonizing language in the irradiation treatment regulations with the cold treatment regulations
The rule becomes effective on March 14, 2018, 30 days after publication in the Federal Register.
Publication date: 2/14/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: