- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- "Air-freighted fruit at Hong Kong supermarkets disastrous for the planet"
- US: Most agricultural commodities neutral to profitable
- Shanghai import expo to promote Egypt's exports to China
- Lithuanian food watchdog receives four complaints over needles in food
- ''We add at least 2 hours additional transport time for Germany''
Top 5 -last week
Nielsen and OPN announcement:
US organic fresh produce retail sales were nearly $5 billion in 2017
Partnering with Nielsen, OPN’s review of 2017 organic fresh produce sales at retail stores across the US shows dollar sales of organic fresh vegetables were $2.4 billion, while organic fresh fruit sales topped $1.6 billion. A near $1 billion in organic value added produce items brought total sales to $4.8 billion in 2017.
Overall from last year, 2017 sales of organic fruit volume and dollar sales were up 12.6 percent from 2016, while organic fresh vegetables sales showed a four percent increase in dollar sales and a six percent increase in overall volume.
Organic packaged salad was again the leading organic fresh produce item sold last year, approaching $1 billion in sales. Packaged salad still accounts for one in five organic dollars, but the 2.3 percent growth rate was below the department average.
Click here for a larger image
The most notable growth occurred within organic fruits, led by the 22% increase in organic berry volume sales. Not far behind was the growth of bananas and apples. Organic berry sales, which include strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, topped $586 million in 2017, with volume up 22 percent from last year. Organic apple and banana volume increased 11 and 17.5 percent respectively last year, while the average retail prices for each category went down eight and three percent.
“What’s most impressive about these two categories is the growth they were able to achieve in organic despite stagnant or declining conventional fresh produce sales. This also highlights that even the most mature categories have opportunity to grow the consumer base and sales through an organic offering,” said Matt Seeley, co-founder and CEO, of Organic Produce Network. “Not many product groups can claim double-digit growth in today's competitive environment which reinforces the power and importance of organic produce.”
Rounding out the top five was double-digit growth from organic fresh produce beverages and the herb and spices segment.
“Potatoes, grapes and citrus all rank in the top 10 for conventional sales but fail to crack the top 10 in organic sales which shows that some categories still have opportunity for an increased market presence," said Matt Lally, an associate director at Nielsen. “Understanding and setting pricing strategies between conventional and organic varieties is critical for success. People will pay a premium for organic, but at some point they will trade to conventional or out of the category all together.”
For more information: www.organicproducenetwork.com
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-16 "More and more Moroccan growers switch due to good demand for organic"
- 2018-11-16 Bananas and tomatoes are the top-selling organic products in Switzerland
- 2018-11-15 More than half of organic vegetables come from local fields
- 2018-11-15 NOS: Volume of Russian market for organic products is €160 million
- 2018-11-14 Arizona-based squash grower announces organic program
- 2018-11-14 "Poland is a leader in conventional apples, so why not in organic apples?"
- 2018-11-12 Switzerland: Sales of organic products are growing strongly
- 2018-11-12 Organic products still on growth track worldwide
- 2018-11-09 "Organic vegetables are an attractive investment"
- 2018-11-08 Switzerland: Organic supermarkets are on the rise
- 2018-11-07 France: Financial support for organic farming is lagging behind
- 2018-11-06 Rising demand for organic asparagus in the global asparagus market
- 2018-11-05 "Organic foods are not safer, and probably not more nutritious either"
- 2018-11-01 Peru: Organic banana production drops in Piura due to the cold
- 2018-11-01 “In ten years the whole of Europe will be eating organic”
- 2018-10-31 Actual cost of organic cauliflower much lower than for conventional produce
- 2018-10-31 Organic products from Lower Saxony on the rise
- 2018-10-31 Organic Grower Summit educational session - "Technology is not Just for Big Ag"
- 2018-10-29 Organic horticultural sector facing the challenge of a growing demand
- 2018-10-29 Chile has already exported more organic products to the EU than last year