Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Britain's biggest fruit grower: uncertain future over BrexitKent-based fruit firm Adrian Scripps is one of Britain's biggest fruit growers. Has warned that it may not be able to keep trading without access to EU workers to pick its fruit, and that it is truly uncertain over its ability to function as a fresh produce business in the future.
The company, which employs around 220 fruit pickers every summer from the EU, urged the government to allow seasonal staff to continue working here.
'If this is not the case, profits –if there are any will crash into negative territory and drastic action will have to be taken. We can deal with weather risks but these sorts of shocks we cannot,' the company said in a statement accompanying its annual results.
According to a thisismoney.co.uk article the firm, which turned over £11.5 million in the year to April 2017, is investing in robots, but they will not come quickly enough to replace EU workers.
Publication date: 2/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: