- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Persian cucumbers in short supply in North America
“Supply of English cucumbers has been fairly steady,” says Karen Thomson of Thomson Fresh LLC in Los Angeles, Ca. “Everything's coming out of Mexico right now and it’s been pretty consistent. Prices haven’t gone up or down too much because supplies have been fairly consistent.” This is similar to last year’s cucumber volume, adds Thomson.
Mexico’s season will likely run until May and that’s when Thomson switches over to California for cucumber supplies.
Different Persian picture
At the same time, one of the three varieties—Persian cucumbers, have been in short supply. “They’re really short right now and I’m not sure why,” says Thomson. “It may be weather conditions and they’re between plantings—but the supply is so short that the market is in the $20-$30 range. It’s really hard to find any right now.” That shortage has been going on for three weeks and doesn’t seem to affect the other two varieties of cucumbers, English and American.
At the same time, demand for cucumbers has been a bit light. “There are plenty coming in right now so prices aren’t really high and they’re fairly consistent. It’s been like this since mid-December,” she says. “Prices then were even weaker so it’s firmed up since then and been steady for the last 4-5 weeks.”
Waiting for change
Looking ahead, while she anticipates steady movement for English cucumbers, she hopes for a change in Persian supply. “Hopefully the production will come up for the Persian cucumbers so that price will go down,” says Thomson.
For more information:
Thomson Fresh LLC
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 No export ban on Egyptian tomatoes
- 10/19/2018 "High demand for Peruvian ginger, especially from France"
- 10/19/2018 Spain: Garlic market paralyzed due to oversupply from China
- 10/19/2018 Growers in Morocco and Spain moving away from tomatoes
- 10/19/2018 Domestic okra ends even season
- 10/18/2018 Mushrooms a weapon in fight against global vitamin D shortage
- 10/18/2018 Belgium: "Beef tomatoes are gradually becoming a specialty"
- 10/18/2018 "Tropical storm Leslie does not cause damage to Spanish open field cultivation"
- 10/18/2018 Ukraine: Temperature fluctuations and strong demand push tomato prices up
- 10/18/2018 Asparagus: from Veneto to Australia
- 10/18/2018 Spain: Alcampo introduces floating live lettuce
- 10/18/2018 Despite difficulties, sprouts still thrive in Austria
- 10/18/2018 "Retail price of Chinese carrots increased by around 40%"
- 10/18/2018 China: Ten-year low for garlic price in 2018
- 10/18/2018 US: Riced cauliflower stuffing is there for all low carb enthusiasts
- 10/18/2018 Florence squeezes supplies of eggplant
- 10/18/2018 US: Hot pepper supplies lighter but demand strong
- 10/18/2018 New line of single serving specialty pepper bags
- 10/18/2018 Cancer prevention project gets USDA grant
- 10/17/2018 Mexico starts with butternut squash