- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
- Peru uses less than 10% of the land that is suitable for agriculture
- 'Hungarian vegetable harvest steady around 1.9 mln tons'
- EU court decision is set-back for Pink Lady licensee
- Texas grapefruit grower launches new trade newsletter
- USDA cites Unified Ltd., d/b/a Pan American Banana in California for PACA violations
Top 5 -last month
- Mexico: Authorities shut down 23 hectares of illegal avocado orchards
- Chile: Cripps Pink and Rosy Glow trees must be registered for export to Europe
- Sri Lanka-China banana supply agreement: Not one kilo exported
- 'Fruit wants to start ripening only when the time is right'
- Australia: Costa Adelaide Mushrooms expansion progressing at Monarto
Top 5 -last week
- ITV hopes ad campaign will get Brits to eat more vegetables
- Prospects of product varieties in Taiwanese mushroom industry
- "We will supply our American customers with the best Spanish lemons"
- AU: Projects underway in Northern NSW to increase berry growing efficiency
- "We do not only want to be a part of the supply chain - we want to be every part."
"30% of Spanish primary energy consumption is spent on food"
The actions linked to the agro-food model, from production to households’ consumption, spend 30% of primary energy in Spain, a “high” percentage that shows that it is “unsustainable”, according to the researcher Manuel González de Molina.
This data is the result of a study that shows that “everything related to food production has a huge impact on the environment and the economy”, given its high energy costs.
The life cycle analysis carried out by Prof. González de Molina allows us to calculate the amount of energy that is invested in each process, as well as to detect the “inefficiencies of the system” to know where the problems are in Spain: “transport, import, inputs and intensive livestock”.
For the researcher, transport is the process that most primary energy consumes, “25.8% of total consumption”, because in Spain “food travels a lot”.
Inputs’ manufacture (fertilizers, plant protection products, machinery, feed, seeds) consume 24% of all primary energy, highlighting feed manufacture that consumes almost half of that figure.
Source: efeagro.com / www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/17/2018 Did Fresno Unified School district overpay by hundreds of thousands of dollars?
- 10/17/2018 The challenges of the Agri-food sector
- 10/17/2018 Moving location of fruit and vegetables in shops can lead to 15% sales increase
- 10/17/2018 Costa Rica works hard to expand export trade with China
- 10/17/2018 'Hungarian vegetable harvest steady around 1.9 mln tons'
- 10/16/2018 Romania imports 10 times more fruit and vegetables than it exported
- 10/16/2018 Taiwan to expand trade with Turkey
- 10/16/2018 Argentina has potential to export more fruit, but it must improve quality
- 10/16/2018 Minister Mwanamveka unhappy that Malawi is importing bananas
- 10/16/2018 Food products from Philippines aim for export to Russia
- 10/16/2018 Indonesian Minister of Agriculture Amran opens export market of mangosteen to Taiwan
- 10/16/2018 Syria: Souq al-Hal market starts to thrive again
- 10/15/2018 Wuppertal student develops 'storage ABC' for fruits and vegetables
- 10/15/2018 Pharr, Texas celebrates the start of the 2018-2019 produce season
- 10/15/2018 Deluge continues across south-east Queensland
- 10/12/2018 New US trade agreement just 'tip of the iceberg'
- 10/12/2018 'Germany dominating cucumber market, more so than The Netherlands'
- 10/12/2018 Value of Turkish fruit and veg exports so far this year exceeds 1 billion dollars
- 10/11/2018 US: Most agricultural commodities neutral to profitable
- 10/10/2018 Morocco, Russia willing to set up tripartite partnership with Africa