- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Procurement manager-buyer
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Father and son want to connect Indian farmers through app
A New Delhi father and son want to expand farmers' selling options by bringing the mandi to smartphones. The idea came to Sanjay Agarwalla while he was consulting with telecom and consumer goods companies. He noticed that even as his clients eyed these new markets, no one was thinking about how to help farmers increase their incomes.
Consulting with his son Aditya, then a computer science major at Princeton University, in late 2015 the two decided to form an online marketplace they called the Kisan Network.
“Anything that deals with agriculture in India is pretty large. So if it’s a problem, the problem can affect millions of people," Sanjay says, noting that the market is worth more than $250 billion. When it comes to solutions, he says, "the impact could be enormous." After all, some 70 percent of rural households in the country depend on agriculture as a primary source of income.
A National Geographic article tells how Kisan Network's app lets farmers advertise their produce and see potential buyers beyond the local mandi. Once the transaction is completed online, Kisan runs the produce from farmer direct to the buyer. Kisan's fee ranges from 5 to 15% of the sale, and farmers get to keep more than they would under the conventional system, where middleman after middleman bids up the price of the produce before it reaches a final buyer.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/23/2018 Crop Tracker partners with Cucumber Ltd.
- 10/18/2018 AgroFresh showcases IoT platform for produce freshness
- 10/18/2018 Afresh Technologies uses AI to optimize fresh food stocking
- 10/17/2018 New data loggers introduced at PMA
- 10/16/2018 Dutch fresh produce company hot on Instagram
- 10/09/2018 Port of Dover: Sanderson Group IT solutions chosen for new Refrigerated Cargo Terminal
- 10/09/2018 App prevents heat illness for farm workers
- 10/08/2018 New digital marketing service
- 10/08/2018 Ukraine: Using Bitcoin to pay for carrots and tomatoes in Kiev market
- 10/04/2018 Compac's new sizer simulator aims to improve productivity of packhouses
- 09/28/2018 FlashLink In-Transit Real-Time Mini Logger showcased at WOP Dubai
- 09/27/2018 Software package calculates nutritional value based on recipes
- 09/14/2018 CT Tecnova, wins prize for technological innovation
- 09/06/2018 Iowa based grower transitions to new software
- 09/05/2018 The rise of blockchain technology in agriculture
- 08/29/2018 China: Origin tracing boosts kiwifruit trade
- 08/22/2018 Naturipe teams up with SAP in blockchain initiative
- 08/15/2018 Solution to the headaches caused by IT in the food sector
- 08/08/2018 Prophet keeps track of complexities within fresh produce supply chain
- 08/06/2018 "AU: Digital market "Phoenicia" aims to create greater transparency in supply chain"