Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- WAPA: EU expects biggest apple harvest in 10 years
- Indiana Troopers find 1 million dollars worth of marijuana stashed with lettuce
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Margins affected by poor logistics
Italy is the eighth economy in the world, but occupies the 21st place when it comes to logistics. This is due to the lack of infrastructure and a national logistics plan. It must be said that the Italian territory is rather complex but, at the same time, general organisation is not very good. The situation seems to be improving though.
Everything was discussed during the Shipping, Forwarding & Logistics meet Industry convention, promoted by Assologistica together with Alsea and The International Propeller Clubs.
"Volumes are increasing in the fresh produce logistic sector, however margins remain a problem. But the responsibility is not always of retailers. At Assologistica, we try to favour the cooperation between customers and operators to avoid price wars favouring quality at a fair remuneration," explains Assolgistica Vice-President Massimiliano Montalti.
Assologistica President Andrea Gentile explained that there are still a few problems due to the number of companies that haven't survived the recent recession. "Not to mention the fact that Italy is behind when it comes to infrastructure and bureaucracy. In addition, mentality/awareness is also causing problems, as working as a network must become a priority on all levels."
"The main challenge now, which is considered a true revolution, is the digitalisation of functions and processes. Change must be embraced not to remain behind. We all know that the modernisation of the logistic system is essential to make the economic system competitive."
Publication date: 2/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: