Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Potato imports halted to protect local production in BelizeThe Ministry of Agriculture of Belize recently convened a meeting at the Agriculture Show Grounds Conference Room in Belmopan; potato producers and importers gathered to verify potato production figures and estimated harvest dates.
The discussion opened with a presentation on the amounts of potatoes in production, by district. It was estimated that the Cayo District has the highest production with a total of 1,300 tonnes, followed by Corozal with 267 tonnes, the Orange Walk District with 130 tonnes and the Stann Creek District with 20 tonnes.
According to a guardian.bz article, the estimated production for this year is 1,680 tonnes, with harvest dates starting in the first week of February 2018. Based on these estimated production figures, import licenses for potato have been closed by the Ministry of Agriculture. This policy will stand until local production has ended.
Last year there was a surplus in production for potatoes as a result of which many farmers had to contend with having to drop the price of their products for sale. The Ministry of Agriculture at the time had allowed for import of potatoes which overlapped with the local production. This year, with proper planning, that problem will be eliminated.
Publication date: 2/2/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: