Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
50% increase in marketable shelf life
Avocado shipping trials with Edipeel show improved quality upon arrival
“Edipeel is a solution made from plant extracts that doubles the shelf-life of harvested fruits and vegetables,” says Michelle Linn with Apeel Sciences. “It’s the only postharvest solution that creates an optimal microclimate inside of every piece of produce, which leads to improved quality and freshness upon arrival, on the shelf, and at home.”
In October of last year, FreshPlaza reported that the company was working on a solution for avocados and finalizing contracts with avocado growers.
From Peru to North America and Europe
Since then, Apeel Sciences has shared the details of Edipeel commercial shipping trials that took place out of Peru. "Hass avocados treated with Edipeel were shipped from Peru into California via Del Rey and from Peru into Rotterdam via Nature's Pride,” shared Linn. During shipment, Apeel Sciences compared Edipeel-treated avocados shipped in refrigerated containers to avocados without Edipeel that were shipped in both refrigerated and controlled atmosphere storage containers. “We wanted to demonstrate the significant quality improvements and shelf-life extension that avocado suppliers and retailers can obtain from using Edipeel,” Linn added.
Upon arrival, standard ripening procedures were performed. In addition, the external as well as internal quality was evaluated upon arrival, after ripening, and through end-of-life. Both trials assessed the performance of Edipeel on Peruvian avocados from different regions, blooms, and harvest times in order to account for varied fruit characteristics.
Improved quality and shelf-life
“The groups that were treated with Edipeel experienced a 30 percent reduction in water loss rate as well as up to 60 percent slower respiration. In addition, they had 50 percent more marketable shelf-life than untreated controlled atmosphere groups,” Linn said. “For both trials, Edipeel-treated groups saw visibly improved quality and shelf life.”
Apeel Sciences is a first-time exhibitor at Fruit Logistica in Berlin. Every day of the show, the company will be serving Caviar Lime Margaritas for Happy Hour. Stop by booth F-09A in Hall 23 at 5:00 pm.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: