Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Bad weather in Henan causes price increase for green eggplants
This week the price of green eggplants showed an overall increase. The average price of green eggplants in Wanbang market this week was 3.5 yuan [0.56 USD] per kg. Last week it was 2.7 yuan [0.43 USD] per kg. And last month it was 2.5 yuan [0.4 USD] per kg. Last year around the same time the price was 4.13 yuan [0.66 USD] per kg. This is an increase of 29.63% compared to the previous week, and 40% compared to the previous month, but a decrease of 15.15% compared to last year.
The main reason for the price increase in Wanbang market is that this week a smaller volume of green eggplant entered the market. The market currently relies on green eggplant supplies from the northeast and Yunnan. The northeast accounts for 65% of the supply. Since the northeast recently suffered from snow, greenhouses did not receive optimum light. With shorter exposure to sunlight the vegetables took longer to mature. This influenced the volume that entered the market, and as a consequence, the price went up.
The main reason that the price last month was lower, is because the green eggplant supply came from the northeast, Zhoukou, and Anhui. On the one hand, the volume that entered the market was quite large. On the other hand, the green eggplants from Zhoukou and Anhui were of relatively poor quality. Both of these aspects influenced the retail price, which remained low.
Publication date: 2/2/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: