Job offersmore »
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- Spain: Report accuses major veg producer of severe environmental damage
- Grape grower-shipper opens new warehouse in Nogales, AZ
- One of New Zealand’s newest apple varieties starts Dazzling the world
- AU: New technology delivering biodegradable produce labels
- China: Dragon fruit prices down slightly compared to previous years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico: Last year's avocado production broke records
Mexico produced a record 1,997,629 tons of avocado in 2017, and the country continues to be the largest producer of this fruit worldwide, stated the Mexican government on Wednesday.
Of that production, at least 100,000 tons were sent in these weeks to the United States so that NFL fans can prepare guacamole for the Super Bowl on February 3.
The Secretary of Agriculture said that the United States was the main market for avocados, since it consumes almost 77% of exports. It is followed by Japan, Canada, Spain, France, the Netherlands, El Salvador, China, Honduras, Guatemala and another 11 countries.
According to the agency, the sale of Mexican avocados to the world from January to November last year exceeded $ 2,710 million and represented almost 46% of the value of global exports.
"The Mexican avocado is one of the most successful products of the national agricultural food export, which is why our country is the main supplier of this food in the international market," they stated.
According to official figures, Mexico produced around 1,879 tons of avocado in 2016, so last year production increased by 6%.
Publication date: 2/7/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: