Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Harvesting of Nadorcott tangerines is underway
After the historic agreement signed a few years ago, Nadorcott tangerines keep expanding. The Giuliano Puglia Fruit holds exclusive production rights in Italy.
Groves now cover 50 hectares with an estimated production of 2,500 tons. Harvesting and commercialisation have started and the campaign will continue until April. This fills the gap in February, March and April, when the only produce available used to come from abroad.
Nadorcott is a seedless variety with a smooth peel and deep colour. The balance between sugar and acidity is excellent, meaning flavour and sweetness are unique (12-14 Brix).
Nicola Giuliano reported that "Nadorcott trees can produce over 100 kg of fruit, so much so that we need to tie branches to prevent them from breaking. The fruit peels easily and grades are naturally bigger than common clementines. In addition, they are juicy and excellent when eaten fresh."
Nadorcott tangerines are sorted with an optical grader that eliminates imperfect fruits. They are then packaged in 30x40 (5 kg), 30x70 (7 kg) and 2 kg crates as well as in nets (1, 1.5 and 2 kg).
"Trees don't need to be treated with a lot of crop protection products, so residue is low. As the fruit is grown near our facility, we can also supply fruits with leaves. 80% of the volumes is destined to the domestic market (wholesalers and retailers), while 20% is exported to wholesalers in the Netherlands and Belgium."
"The peel is shiny and therefore requires no additional waxing. In addition, shelf-life is long both stored at room temperature and in the fridge. Consumers can enjoy them even one month after purchasing them."
Recently planted groves will start producing in the next few years and we have already planned new ones.
As the variety is protected by law, we recommend that operators and distributors pay attention to international standards and contact Giuliano Puglia Fruit for further information as regards authorised operators.
OP Giuliano Puglia Fruit
SP 65 km 4,8
70010 Turi (BA) - Italy
Tel.: (+39) 080 4771540
Fax: (+39) 080 4771524
Publication date: 2/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: