Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Becoming third largest orange exporter to China
Egypt’s citrus farms prosper due to Chinese demandIn the past few years, Egypt has witnessed a rapid increase in its citrus exports to China. And thanks to the fast-growing Chinese demand for quality fruits, many Egyptian citrus farms now prosper.
In fact, Egypt, famous for producing sweet juicy oranges, has become the third largest exporter of citrus to China after South Africa and the United States. In 2015, export to China was just over 23,000 tons. It then increased to more than 36,000 tons in 2016, only to exceed 101,000 tons in 2017.
Han Bing, economic and commercial counsellor at China's Embassy in Cairo, noted that Egypt's orange exports to China hit $20 million in 2015 and sharply increased to $80 million in 2016. “The Chinese market is big, open and highly-competitive. Our imports from all over the world will reach 10 trillion dollars in the next five years," Hang told Xinhua.
He said he expected to see a further increase in the exports of Egyptian agricultural products to China in the future. "We help Egyptians improve the quality of products to reach our import standards and we expect to see more Egyptian agricultural products in the Chinese market."
Publication date: 2/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: