Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
Whole fresh chain united in new UAE green factory
"Fresh lettuce and herbs completely free from any pesticides"In Al Ain, in the United Arab Emirates, Dutch fruit and vegetable trader Levarht will set up a sustainable green factory for the production of lettuce, baby leaves and herbs.
"A unique combination of vertical & horizontal farming in a pesticide-free environment, with our own propagation area. And in addition to that a connected packing facility, which allows us to mix and pack 100% clean mix salads. Non washed and all ready-to-eat."
Unique about this project is how a fresh trade company partners up with the technical suppliers and starts growing themselves. "Together with our business partner GrowGroup, we are bringing technology in vertical and horizontal farming to the next level. In close cooperation with our knowledge partners Philips Lighting, Rijk Zwaan and Delphy. All specialists sharing their unique expertise and knowledge in making this new venture a success."
"The joint objective is to serve the final consumer fresh lettuce and herbs, and completely free from any pesticides or other forms of crop protection. By selecting the tastiest crops, the strongest varieties and establishing clean production, we are able to serve the consumer the best produce within 24 hour after harvest… ready-to-eat." According to Levarht, the products are so clean, they don’t even have to wash them before packing.
Horizontal and vertical farming - Photos by Philips
Sustainability, the future in farming
By creating a completely closed environment in production, using the latest generation of LED lighting, the usage of water and energy can be reduced to a minimum. "We also see a great opportunity in growing close to the stores and final consumer. Local production enables us to reduce mileage and imports. So not only fresher produce on the shelves, but also a step forwards in protecting the environment."
Bringing the best together
According to the Levarht team, this project in the Emirates matches their new pay-off ‘Bringing the best together’ in full. "We have found in each other strong partners, who share the philosophy of not only changing, but especially improving farming techniques and serving the consumer fresher, cleaner and tastier product. Partners sharing their unique expertise… the best example of 'Bringing the best together'."
For more information:
1430 AB Aalsmeer
Tel: +31 (0) 297 386611
Fax: +31 (0) 297 386666
GrowGroup IFS B.V.
2992 EL Barendrecht
tel +31 (0)85 -7500 265 (office)
tel +31 (0)6 - 2322 1646 (mobile Europe)
tel +971 (0)56 - 919 7520 (mobile Middle East)
Publication date: 1/31/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: