Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Difficult season for broccoli
Against all expectations there is more than enough broccoli on the market, says a Dutch importer. A shortage of broccoli and other Spanish product was predicted due to the drought in the region, but nothing could be less true. "The supply is very good and so is the quality." This also makes it a difficult season, as the large supply pressures the prices.
Packaging or industry
"These months could make the season fun. You hope to sell broccoli bought more expensively between October and December for higher prices in January to compensate. However the supply is so big that we can't make good prices. It's a question of whether we should package the broccoli or just send it to the industry. It could be that the market will look different at the end of February, but I don't see the situation changing for now."
The hope is that broccoli won't end up like stone fruit, says the importer. The last season was very good in price this means it may be possible that Spanish growers planted considerably more broccoli. "This got completely out of hand in stone fruit, as agricultural subsidies gave the wrong signal and so the market was disrupted," concludes the importer.
Publication date: 1/31/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: