Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Banana prices on the rise in UkraineIn the territory of Ukraine, experts have noticed a sharp increase in the value of bananas, as reported by Info-Shuvar.
In a week, the price of the fruit in the wholesale market has become about 16% more expensive, which means that the current price oscillates from 34 to 40 hryvnia per kilo (about 0.96 to 1.13 Euro per kilo). Compared with the same period of the previous year, the price has more than doubled.
International market experts assume that the sharp increase in banana prices is a consequence of a fall in the world harvest. After all, the countries that are currently the main producers report that production has dropped by 18-20%, mostly as a result of unfavourable weather conditions.
Furthermore, expert Tatyana Getman believes that the devaluation of the hryvnia has further contributed to the rise in banana prices. It is reported that bananas are the only product that has not ceased to record price increases after the New Year and Christmas holidays.
It should be noted that Ukraine annually imports between 200,000 and 300,000 tonnes of bananas. Interestingly, 90% of the total is purchased from Ecuador. The demand for banana products on the territory of Ukraine increases with the onset of the spring period. According to statistics, bananas reach the most expensive prices in the first months of spring (March and April).
Publication date: 1/31/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: