Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
NZ temperatures continuing to rise
What are the sweltering Kiwis buying right now?With January already gearing up to be the hottest month in New Zealand since 1908, Kiwis everywhere are doing what they can to stay cool. Supermarket chain Countdown has analysed their summer sales.
And naturally, New Zealanders are reaching for bottled water to quench their thirst and stay hydrated. So far, Countdown has already sold more than seven million litres of water, that is the equivalent of drinking approximately three Olympic sized swimming pools. Other summer essentials flying off the shelves include fans, sunblock, insecticides, ice, beer, watermelons and ice cream. Watermelon sales are significantly higher than last year and nectarines increased with more than 20 percent. Bagged salads sales have increased more than 15 percent this summer. And this summer, Countdown has already sold more than 108 tonnes of coleslaw; the equivalent to the weight of 54 caravans.
Scott Davidson, Countdown’s General Manager Merchandise told voxy.co.nz: "Last year, we didn’t have a very hot summer. So this year, we are making the most of the hot nights. We have seen big increases in BBQ meats, salads and we just can’t get enough of sausages wrapped in bread and covered in tomato sauce. Watermelon, rockmelon, pineapple, and honeydew are all big sellers over summer, as well as stone fruit, sweet corn, asparagus, and lettuce."
Publication date: 1/30/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: