Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Objecting to last week's blanket avocado export ban
Kenyan avocado farmers move to courtLast week, a blanket ban was issued by the Kenyan Agriculture and Food Authority, forbidding the export of avocados due to shortages in the country. Now, two avocado farmers have filed an urgent case seeking to lift this ban.
James Mwangi and Fredrick Munyua filed the case on Monday, arguing that the ban has rendered thousands of families without a source of livelihood. The Attorney General, Agriculture CS and Agriculture and Food Authority are listed as the respondents. Kenya is the world's sixth largest producer of avocados.
"The AFA last week issued a blanket ban on the export of the Fuerte and Hass varieties of avocados to the detriment of the applicants and small-scale avocado farmers. Hence the petitioners and small-scale avocado farmers are in real danger of becoming destitute, they said in their application.
“We have stopped the export of Fuerte and Hass varieties because traders would ship out immature crop due to high demand in the world market. We are going to lift the ban next month, once harvesting starts,” Josephine Simiyu, head of Regulations and Compliance at HCD said to The Star.
Publication date: 1/30/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: