Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Bananas are a luxury in EuropeAndrew Biles, CEO of Chiquita Bananas & Pineapples, in an interview with Wiwo about the banana trade in Germany, told of how the TR4 fungus threatens cultivation and how Chiquita works as a sustainable business enterprise.
Mr. Biles explains how Chiquita differs in the operation of the farms, striving to control quality, from cultivation to food retail sales.
Customers want bananas that are flawless and have no spots. The Germans are, like the Americans, quite demanding. One kilo of bananas are bought for one euro, whereas apples can currently cost around 3 euros per kilo. The banana is an important product in retail. For a product that has come so far and that meets all the requirements of sustainable farming that customers demand, it would not be strange if the price should increase further.
Read the full interview here.
Publication date: 2/6/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: