- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
- Pan-Asia and Camposol sign strategic agreement at international import exposition
- Moldova: New standard labeling and sorting system for fruit and veg
- China: Banana price still high in November despite fluctuations
- Crossover imports on ginger means lots of product
- Tunisia: Citrus production up 35% in Cap Bon
Top 5 -last month
- ‘Ag visa is coming, but not this fruit picking season’
- Artichoke grower launches fall promotion program
- South Tyrol: wholesale prices for apples
- Fresh Del Monte: “We delivered a 12% increase in net sales during the third quarter"
- Wholesaler-Distributor produce operation training checklists now available
Top 5 -last week
And irrigation schemes thwarted by GST
Indian chilli and mango farmers desperate for water
The Farmers and Water Users’ Association (WUA) are not optimistic. Water Resources Apex Committee member Alla Gopalakrishnaiah told The Hindu that the officials told him that water could be released to Zone III only after shutting down water to the Zone II area.
Farmers would have used groundwater, but the water table was already low. And in some cases, the installation of alternative irrigation systems is beset with problems as well.
For instance, farmers in the drought-prone Prakasam district saw plans to install micro irrigation systems upset by the tax regime. The 18% GST on micro-irrigation systems has defeated the very purpose of the plan by which water use efficiency would be improved. This is according to farmers in Ulavapadu village as the drought -for the fourth consecutive year- crushed their hopes of getting decent returns at least this year.
After the introduction of the GST, the cost of the farmers’ share for installing micro irrigation systems, which came with 90% subsidy from the government, had almost doubled to ₹10,000 (125 euros) per acre.
Prakasam District Development Forum president Ch. Ranga Rao feels that the GST on farm implements has hampered farm mechanisation at a time when labour costs were pushed up. This adds to the woes of the farmers who are struggling to cope with the ever-increasing cost of cultivation on the one hand and un-remunerative prices for their produce on the other. The GST on farm implements should be brought down from 12% to at least 5%, he adds.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-09 Italy: Fresh pineapples from the DR thanks to air transportation
- 2018-11-09 Photo Report: Visit to French kiwi and kiwi berry growers
- 2018-11-09 Colombia: "We are increasing gulupa exports for Christmas"
- 2018-11-09 Ghana: Mango farmers unhappy with treatment by Exim Bank
- 2018-11-09 Harvesting season for Turkish pomegranates ending, weather has caused issues
- 2018-11-08 Reunion Island: expansion of the Victoria pineapple
- 2018-11-08 More international demand for produce from Saint Lucia
- 2018-11-08 Mexico: The avocado from Michoacan could miss the Super Bowl
- 2018-11-07 Australia: Mango season North Queensland 2018
- 2018-11-07 Navi Mumbai APMC: Alphonso makes early entry
- 2018-11-07 China claims intent to buy more from Cambodia
- 2018-11-07 Honduras: Okra sales will generate US $45 million
- 2018-11-07 Americans enjoy Honduran organic rambutan
- 2018-11-07 The cassava is a healthy and nostalgic alternative to potato
- 2018-11-07 Pakistan markets full of seasonal pomegranates
- 2018-11-07 Nepal: Fruit prices increase as Tihar festival kicks off
- 2018-11-07 Indonesian plane delayed because of durian fruit
- 2018-11-07 Vietnam: Mekong farmers switching to more profitable crops
- 2018-11-07 Man in kiwifruit smuggling case named
- 2018-11-06 Kenyan president in China to sign avocado deal