Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Romania became more dependent on EU food imports in 2017Foods purchased by Romania from other EU countries over the first ten months of last year cost more than 5 billion Euro. For comparison, in the similar period of 2016, the expenditure on food imports from EU countries was 13.4% lower. Romania's trade deficit on food has exceeded 1.6 billion Euro.
When it comes to vegetables, the domestic production was not enough to cover the demand, so the country imported products worth a total of 257.5 million Euro. The most valuable vegetables came from the Netherlands, where Romania made purchases worth 43.1 million Euro, followed by Germany, with imports worth 36 million Euro, and Hungary, with 26.2 million Euro. A year earlier, Romania purchased vegetables from other EU countries worth 233.8 million Euro.
Meanwhile, fruits also had a detrimental impact on Romania's trade balance with other Member States, as the total value of the purchases reached 421.1 million Euro. The top fruit suppliers for Romania are Greece, from which the country purchased 78.4 million Euro; the Netherlands, with 69.2 million Euro, and Poland, with 52.9 million Euro.
Publication date: 1/29/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: