Job offersmore »
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
A new variety of strawberry grown in Senegal
A young farmer in Senegal, Souleymane Agne, produces and commercialises organic strawberries. He now offers a new variety of sweet strawberries to rival the imported ones.
Following many trial runs, the producer started the strawberry production in 2016, their main attraction is that they are sweet and 100% organic. He produces about 500kg a week in his field, 40km or so from the capital, Dakar. Eventually he aims to multiply his current production ten fold. Mr Agne explains that they do not allow any chemicals into the field and anyone that did so would be fired. He aims to produce 10 tons a week all year round.
The company, Fraises-Sen, employs 10 or so young people for field work. Numerous agronomy students are also welcomed, allowing them to put into practice what they have learnt.
Strawberries in Senegal cost between $0.19-$29 per kilo depending on the period. Having invested about $28,500, Mr Agne hopes to see a $114,000 return on investment.
Their other aim is to fulfil Africa’s demand for strawberries over the coming years. Meanwhile, Mr Agne is testing above ground strawberry farming.
Publication date: 1/29/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: