- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Which demographics differentiate Hispanic avocado shoppers from Non-Hispanics?
- Vietnam: US$130 million invested in organic fruit farming zone
- The future of wholesale markets
- China: Persimmon market volume small, but prices still low
- ‘Perfect storm’ of weather and Brexit could have devastating effect on leek industry
Pineapple growing in New Zealand
Pineapples are surprisingly small plants, as they are low-growing bromeliads with a spread of less than a metre in height and width. It can take several years for a plant to reach cropping stage, and when it does, each rosette will produce one pineapple on a stalk.
A stuff.co.nz article describes how pineapple plants can be grown outdoors in a warm and sheltered position. They can withstand a very light frost, but do not tolerate longer periods of low temperatures as their roots can't handle cold, soggy soil. Pineapples can also be grown in a pot on a sunny deck to keep roots warmer; just bring them in under cover in winter.
In a glasshouse or tunnel house, either plant directly into the ground or in a large pot. Pineapples grow readily in a hothouse in New Zealand as long as you can keep the temperature above about 5°C on the coldest winter nights. "They grow best and quickest if they're kept around 25°C most of the time," he said.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 Spain: Sale of stolen unripe avocados reported
- 10/19/2018 Philippines: Stronger promotion of indigenous exotic fruits
- 10/19/2018 Slower kiwi campaign compared to last year
- 10/19/2018 "Positive future for export of yellow passion fruit concentrated juice"
- 10/19/2018 India: Geographical Indication tag for Shahi litchi
- 10/19/2018 India urges US to lift ban on pomegranate arils import
- 10/19/2018 Australia: ‘extra flavoursome’ mango season
- 10/18/2018 Turkish producers switching from tomatoes and peppers to pitaya
- 10/18/2018 China: 10,000 tons of persimmons on the market at a high price
- 10/17/2018 New Zealand: Kiwifruit sales to boost horticulture exports
- 10/17/2018 Agrumi-Gel starts the pomegranate processing campaign
- 10/17/2018 Scientists to domesticate more varieties of Physalis through genetic editing
- 10/17/2018 ''Tropical fruit and mango season do not overlap too much''
- 10/16/2018 Fiji: Local ginger can compete at international markets
- 10/16/2018 Mexico: Michoacan's avocado production increased by 20%
- 10/16/2018 ''Prices of first Spanish persimmons lower than usual''
- 10/16/2018 Twists and turns in market conditions of Chinese Hongyang kiwis
- 10/16/2018 Italy: Kiwi production is recovering - up 18%
- 10/16/2018 Pakistan: Sindh’s chilli production plagued by water shortages
- 10/16/2018 Spain: Frutas Montosa and the success of guacamole