Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines: Growing Thai warty pumpkinsThe popular warty pumpkins from Thailand might do well in the Philippines. They are reported to be high-yielding, resistant to diseases, and tasty. Dutch company East-West Seed developed two warty varieties called Prakaingern and Prakaithong.
The Prakaithong is a prolific hybrid that produces highly uniform large flat round warty fruits that weigh 6 to 8 kilos each. The fruit flesh is dark yellow with excellent eating quality. This hybrid has intermediate resistance to leaf curl virus, papaya ring spot virus, and another virus called ZYMV for short.
According to Ric Reyes, East-West’s Global Product and Market Combination manager, the warty pumpkins are very delicious. Their eating quality is better than many traditional varieties in the market. He really believes that the warty varieties are worthwhile introducing in the Philippines.
A newsbits.mb.com article explains how growing pumpkins has a number of advantages. For one, it is not as expensive to grow compared to other high-value crops. The seeds for planting are not as expensive as other vegetable hybrids. The crop can be grown in the open field and can just be allowed to crawl on the ground.
Publication date: 1/26/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: