Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
February 17 to 21
India: Kalliyoor village to host National Banana FestivalThe village of Kalliyoor, in the state of Kerala, will host the National Banana Festival from February 17 to 21. During the five days, the Vellayani temple ground will witness exhibitions, seminars, farmers meetings, training programmes, buyer-seller meets, documentary shows, cultural programmes and much more.
Farmers in the district are increasingly cultivating plantains as they has proven to be a stable crop. The region around Kalliyoor is especially known for plantain cultivation. The vast plantations were once paddy fields. The Sanghamaithri Farmers Producer Company there is made up mostly of farmers cultivating bananas, vegetables and mangoes. At least 6,000 plantain farmers are part of the organisation. Among them, there are farmers who grow more than 130 varieties of bananas.
“This is the first time a national level festival has been organised in a rural setting. The purpose is to bring the latest developments and research information to the farming community,” said Suresh Gopi, MP, and organising committee chairman. According to a New India Express article, the farmers in the region have already made a name for themselves by strictly adhering to organic farming, harvesting pesticide-free vegetables and fruits.
The National Banana Festival will be organised by the Centre for Innovation in Science & Social Action from February 17 to 21, 2018. The focal theme of the festival would be ‘Conserving Diversity, Preserving Identity and Promoting Value Addition’.
Publication date: 1/25/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: