Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Hybrid between Brussels sprouts and kale
Spain: Kalettes of domestic origin hit the marketKalettes, the natural hybrid between Brussels sprouts and kale that has become hugely successful in northern Europe, has been introduced in Spain this January by the British seed company Tozer Seeds and the Spanish fruit and vegetable producer Verdcamp Fruits.
Before hitting the Spanish shelves, Kalettes have already reached more than 20 countries around the world and become available in about 70 supermarket chains of different continents.
The product, which is already available in Carrefour stores, is 100% Spanish, cultivated by Verdcamp Fruits in its fields of Cambrils, in the province of Tarragona. Domestic Kalettes have a smooth texture and a complex flavour that combines the sweetness of Brussels sprouts with the almond flavour of kale. According to Pep Barrabeig, CEO of Verdcamp Fruits, "the unique, mild and temperate climate of the Mediterranean coast has proven to be ideal for the cultivation of Kalettes."
Verdcamp Fruits and Tozer Seeds have been preparing this launch for more than two years. During this time, the technical department has carried out various agronomic production trials to determine at what times of the year it would be possible to guarantee the supply of a product with the desired consistency and quality. Also, as Barrabeig explains, "we have been showing the product to Carrefour, which is a staple customer, and it generated excitement and enthusiasm from the get-go. They, just like us, identified the qualities of the product in terms of taste, texture and ease of preparation in the kitchen."
Tozer Seeds has expressed its satisfaction with the launch of the product in Spain. "While Kalettes are grown successfully in other parts of the world, such as the Netherlands, the UK or Australia, over the years we have seen that not all climates and soils are optimal for the development of a vegetable as delicate as Kalettes. Therefore, we are proud about Verdcamp Fruits having managed to obtain a product of such extraordinary quality that has made the launch of Kalettes possible in Spain," says Robin Bartels, sales and marketing manager at Tozer Seeds.
Available from November to March, domestic Kalettes stand out for their high contents of vitamins C, K and B6, as well as for their taste and high versatility in the kitchen. They can be steamed, microwaved, sautéed, boiled, scalded and even consumed raw.
More information at: www.kalettes.com
Verdcamp Fruits SAT
Camí de Mont-roig, S/N “Masia Barrabeig”
Tel.: +34 977.793859 –
43850 Cambrils, Tarragona. Spain
Publication date: 1/24/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: