- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Seasonal avo gap sends prices skyhigh
Smashed avocado under strict rationing in Australian cafes
Head chef of Cairns cafe, Caffiend, Madeleine Crawford, said the cost of wholesale trays has also surged. "This time last year they probably would have been down to $ 45-50 a tray and now we're paying $ 95 a tray," she said. Miss Crawford said ‘smashed avo on toast’ is their most popular dish, along with sides of half an avocado.
Brisbane market wholesaler Peter Kedwell from Persehouse Produce said, recent crops in New Zealand and Western Australia were lighter than average and both seasons ended earlier than usual. This, coupled with Australia's continuing love affair with avocados, has upset the market balance. “We're talking $ 70-plus for a box, so I guess that works out to about $ 6 for a piece of fruit, or at cost about $ 3.50."
The next region to harvest avocados is far north Queensland. The season generally starts in February, but Avocados Australia chief executive John Tyas told ABC that some growers are starting earlier. The region is expecting a bumper crop, forecast to deliver 3.8 million trays, up from last year's 3.2 million.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 Spain: Sale of stolen unripe avocados reported
- 10/19/2018 Philippines: Stronger promotion of indigenous exotic fruits
- 10/19/2018 Slower kiwi campaign compared to last year
- 10/19/2018 "Positive future for export of yellow passion fruit concentrated juice"
- 10/19/2018 India: Geographical Indication tag for Shahi litchi
- 10/19/2018 India urges US to lift ban on pomegranate arils import
- 10/19/2018 Australia: ‘extra flavoursome’ mango season
- 10/18/2018 Turkish producers switching from tomatoes and peppers to pitaya
- 10/18/2018 China: 10,000 tons of persimmons on the market at a high price
- 10/17/2018 New Zealand: Kiwifruit sales to boost horticulture exports
- 10/17/2018 Agrumi-Gel starts the pomegranate processing campaign
- 10/17/2018 Scientists to domesticate more varieties of Physalis through genetic editing
- 10/17/2018 ''Tropical fruit and mango season do not overlap too much''
- 10/16/2018 Fiji: Local ginger can compete at international markets
- 10/16/2018 Mexico: Michoacan's avocado production increased by 20%
- 10/16/2018 ''Prices of first Spanish persimmons lower than usual''
- 10/16/2018 Twists and turns in market conditions of Chinese Hongyang kiwis
- 10/16/2018 Italy: Kiwi production is recovering - up 18%
- 10/16/2018 Pakistan: Sindh’s chilli production plagued by water shortages
- 10/16/2018 Spain: Frutas Montosa and the success of guacamole