Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Benicarlo wants to grow organic artichokes under PDOThe conference "Organic artichoke PDO as an opportunity: a different approach", which was organised by the Agrarian Chamber, made it possible to advance towards the goal of obtaining an organic artichoke cultivated under a PDO in the municipality of Benicarlo. The speaker, Fermín Salcedo, was accompanied by Rafa Laborda, from the Polytechnic University of Valencia, of Saifresc; a fruit and vegetable farm in Valencia which adheres to the organic production guidelines.
Salcedo warned that the first necessary step is to convert the fields to make them suitable for the planting of any organic product. To achieve this, they must have been free of chemical treatments for a long period of time, allowing the soil to recover and be in the best conditions.
According to Salcedo, one of the basic differences between traditional and organic cultivation methods is that "80% of the success of an organic harvest is determined by what is done before and during the planting." When growing them conventionally, the stakes are disinfected. In organic plantations, there are several alternative methods, such as planting in August, reducing the temperature ceiling through irrigation (watering the soil before planting), or resorting to thermotherapy, solarisation and rotations. All of this can be done in fields that do not contain traces of previous crops.
Publication date: 1/23/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: