- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- Organic kiwifruit is on trend, producers say
- South Africa and Argentina suspend part of citrus shipments to the EU
- Trump's trade tariffs push Egyptian oranges to Shanghai fruit shops
- Turkey: High productivity for potato harvest in Bitlis
- Egypt: Attempts to strengthen economic cooperation with Polish apple growers
Top 5 -last week
Swiss discounter Denner breaks 3-billion-mark
Denner opened the first Swiss discount store in Zurich-Altstetten fifty years ago. Then forty years ago the first Denner branch was opened in Endingen, and its founder Karl Schweri would have turned 100 on March 31, 2017. In this anniversary year, net sales once again reached CHF 3,064 million, going up CHF 92 million or +3.1% over the previous year. Denner's 522 own branch operations contributed CHF 2,419 million to the positive result, which corresponds to an increase of +4.2 percent compared to the previous year. The increase in customer visits is also very pleasing: At +5.9 percent, Denner achieved significantly more purchases through its own outlets than in the previous year. Due to the company’s dense branch network with its 811 sales outlets, the discounter is always close to the customer and therefore within easy walking distance, which has a positive impact on the eco-balance.
On the whole, the development of the Denner branches and Denner partners, which of course contributed to the company's success with sales of CHF 567 million, is extremely pleasing overall. Although partner-operated stores continue to perform well, earnings there are down 3.1% year-on-year, primarily because of 17 closures due to generational changes and lack of successors at certain stores. On the other hand, the development in the 25 franchised branches with a result of CHF +11 million is very pleasing.
"We are pleased to have been able to expand our position as Switzerland's leading discounter in this, our anniversary year. In 2017, the focus was on branch-specific and regional assortment adjustments, in order to focus more on customer needs," says CEO Mario Irminger. Both the IP-SUISSE and the fresh assortment were extended. "With around 70 IP-SUISSE products, we are offering our customers sustainable and natural food at affordable prices," explains Mario Irminger.
Beat Zahnd, Director General for Trade at the Federation of Migros Cooperatives, is also satisfied with the result of Denner. "The renewed sales growth confirms the strong position of Denner in the retail trade. With its strategy as a nearby discounter, the company is very well positioned for the future," said Zahnd.
Implementation of the Denner Partner Concept
In the year under review, Denner began nationwide with the modernization of the Denner satellites, which will in future be aligned with the Denner branches. Not only their appearances were renewed, but also the concept and assortment, responding specifically to customer needs. With the name-change to Denner Partner, the retailers are ever moving closer to the discounter, offering customers a uniform assortment at more than 280 sales outlets. The conversion is expected to be completed in 2022.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 China: Online trade of fresh produce increased by 23.5% in first half of 2018
- 10/19/2018 Illegal imports of fruit and vegetables affecting Balochistan farmers
- 10/19/2018 UK reliance on Spanish horticulture is a fact
- 10/19/2018 India: Rising freight rates & traffic stops trouble Kashmir’s apple exports
- 10/19/2018 Sodexo embraces wonky fruit and vegetables
- 10/19/2018 Kenya to export over 40 percent of avocados & other fresh produce to China
- 10/18/2018 Peach and nectarine campaign completed
- 10/18/2018 Egyptian company Wadi El Nile aims to increase its exports to $12 mln next year
- 10/18/2018 Prices on Bonaire and Saba rising more than on St Eustatius
- 10/17/2018 Did Fresno Unified School district overpay by hundreds of thousands of dollars?
- 10/17/2018 The challenges of the Agri-food sector
- 10/17/2018 Moving location of fruit and vegetables in shops can lead to 15% sales increase
- 10/17/2018 Costa Rica works hard to expand export trade with China
- 10/17/2018 'Hungarian vegetable harvest steady around 1.9 mln tons'
- 10/16/2018 Romania imports 10 times more fruit and vegetables than it exported
- 10/16/2018 Taiwan to expand trade with Turkey
- 10/16/2018 Argentina has potential to export more fruit, but it must improve quality
- 10/16/2018 Minister Mwanamveka unhappy that Malawi is importing bananas
- 10/16/2018 Food products from Philippines aim for export to Russia
- 10/16/2018 Indonesian Minister of Agriculture Amran opens export market of mangosteen to Taiwan