Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Nepal: Transportation blamed for inflated fruit & veg pricesAt a press conference organized by the the Kalimati Fruits and Vegetables Market Development Board, deputy director of the market Binaya Shrestha said that there have always been big price differences between products coming from the farms and those reaching the market. The reason behind this is mainly transportation, according to Shrestha.
Consumers in Nepali cities often complain about the high price of fruits and vegetables, but the farmers producing the foodstuffs do not make that much.
Shrestha added: “Farmers sell their products to the traders at a central point within a district. Before hitting the market, many different handlers each take a certain amount of profit, inflating the price.” And due to lack of proper infrastructure in the country, the transportation process is very costly, time-consuming and can lead to much wastage.
Speaking with Republica, Kashiraj Dahal, joint secretary of Ministry of Agricultural Development explained: “Kathmandu at times receives more fruits and vegetables than required. As these excess items decay, traders lose a chunk of their expected sales which they cover by inflating the price of the products.”
Publication date: 1/22/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: