Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kingdom of Tonga, Polynesia
Tonga’s new and essential pack housesThe opening of new pack houses in Tonga should make a big difference to farmers who will be able to sell their crops and other products for export to New Zealand, said Edgar Cocker, CEO of Tonga’s Ministry Commerce, Trade, Innovation and Labour.
The hope is for the pack houses to boost economic prosperity for local communities through increased export of their local produce.
Pacific Trade Invest (PTI) New Zealand has been involved in the developments for a while: “PTI is absolutely delighted the Tongan Government has stepped into the agricultural sector to give some control and guidance which will lead to greater returns for Tonga’s growers.”
According to a pngfacts.com article, the Tongan government secured around 1.5 million Tongan pa'anga (US$ 688,000) towards funding the project. Although the initial deal would include food, fish and handicrafts, Cocker said they would start by buying and exporting yams, arum, cassava, taro and watermelon.
The new pack house will be equipped with the latest packing equipment bringing it into line with international standards. New pack houses are planned for building in Vava’u, Lapaha, Vaini, Houma and Hihifo in Tongatapu.
Publication date: 1/19/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: