- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Produce reaches market faster, cheaper, fresher
Savannah new entry port for Chilean blueberries
“Because Savannah is hundreds of miles closer to major Southeastern markets such as Atlanta, landing chilled cargo at Garden City Terminal means fruit reaches consumers faster, cheaper and fresher, with total transit time reduced by three to seven days,” said Georgia Ports Authority Executive Director Griff Lynch.
Blueberries from Chile are now handled in a controlled environment by PortFresh Logistics, located seven miles from Interstate 95 and 15 miles from GPA’s Garden City Terminal.
“For importers, shipping product to a port that is closer to the consumer market creates a more efficient supply chain and reduces overall cost,” said PortFresh CEO Brian Kastick. “In fact, customers can reduce transit costs by $1,700 per truck when they use the Port of Savannah.”
GPA is working with the USDA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection to increase the number of commodities and countries that can use Savannah as a port of entry. Blueberries are the latest addition to an expanding portfolio at the Port of Savannah, which now includes imported mangoes, citrus, grapes, avocados, bananas, apples and pears.
“Savannah already has an established outbound refrigerated market serving exports of domestic products such as pecans, poultry and other proteins,” said Chris Logan, GPA senior director of Trade Development for beneficial cargo owner sales. “Loaded inbound refrigerated boxes represent an expansion opportunity, because they reduce repositioning costs, and deliver savings to our ocean carriers, importers and exporters. Perishables are a key and growing market segment for the GPA.”
Lynch said the GPA has invested steadily in refrigerated container racks, in keeping with an overall philosophy of maintaining infrastructure at least 20 percent above current demand.
The GPA’s FY2018 budget calls for the addition of five refrigerated container racks (for a total of 109), which will add 120 container slots. Once the addition is completed, the new total for rack slots will be 2,616. Counting 716 chassis plug-ins, Savannah’s total capacity will be 3,332 containers at a time.
The Port of Savannah offers on-terminal inspection offices for U.S. Customs & Border Protection and the Department of Agriculture, speeding the inspection process for chilled cargo. Logan said inspection at local facilities can also be arranged.
For more information:
Georgia Ports Authority
Telephone: +1 (912) 964-3855
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 APM Terminals invests in West African Ports, Lagos excluded
- 10/19/2018 AIT Worldwide Logistics acquires cold chain forwarder WorldFresh Express
- 10/18/2018 Ocean Network Express warns of first-year, $600 million loss
- 10/18/2018 Record container production forecast for 2018
- 10/18/2018 New sustainability pact between Panalpina and CMA CGM
- 10/18/2018 APM Terminals to manage terminal in Izmir - commitment to Turkey remains
- 10/18/2018 New intermediate bulk container offers logistics solution
- 10/17/2018 Mersin-Russia express starting in due course
- 10/17/2018 Hong Kong: Typhoon Mangkhut hits airfreight volumes
- 10/17/2018 US: Port Manatee sets multiple cargo records
- 10/16/2018 Primland announces its recent IFS Broker certification
- 10/16/2018 GAC-office opened in Panama
- 10/15/2018 MSC accelerates deployment of smart containers for customers
- 10/12/2018 Verbrugge Terminals wants to branch out into onions and potatoes
- 10/12/2018 Ecuador: Still disagreement on collection of container fees
- 10/12/2018 Belgium: Port of Antwerp on track for sixth, record year
- 10/11/2018 Tasmania: Hobart Airport freight handling and commercial precinct has its first tenant
- 10/11/2018 Arctic journey of Maersk vessel
- 10/10/2018 Emerson releases GO Real-Time Secure Tracker
- 10/10/2018 New China-Europe freight train route opened