Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenya: Sasini ventures into macadamia and avocado productionKenyan agriculture firm Sasini has started growing macadamia and avocados for export. This is part of a diversification plan meant to cushion the business from fluctuating coffee and tea earnings.
Sasini, which primarily grows coffee and tea, has set aside 200 acres of its land to grow avocado in Nandi and Sotik counties, but has for the past six months been exporting fruits sourced from independent farmers.
“Prices of commodities such as coffee and tea fluctuate significantly based on global demand. Diversification to the two crops will cushion our income,” said Stephen Githiga, Sasini’s managing director. “The demand for both crops is higher than supply, at the moment.”
According to a businessdailyafrica.com article, the company’s venture into macadamia and avocado farming comes at a time when its net profit for the year to September dropped 41.2% to 339.7 million Kenyan shillings (2.7 mln euros) on lower gains from divestitures.
Publication date: 1/18/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: