Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- WAPA: EU expects biggest apple harvest in 10 years
- Indiana Troopers find 1 million dollars worth of marijuana stashed with lettuce
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
Rojo Brillante mutation with larger calibre
Launch of new kaki variety ErnestoThe "Genesis Innovation" Group has just announced the launch of its new kaki variety: Ernesto, a spontaneous mutation of the Rojo Brillante found in the municipality of Benimodo (Ribera del Xúquer, Valencia), which reaches larger sizes than its predecessor, which translates into an almost 30% increase in the average weight per piece.
Thanks to the fact that Ernesto reaches commercial sizes earlier, its harvesting can start up to two weeks in advance compared to the Rojo Brillante plantations. It also accepts the usual treatments to advance or delay the harvest, depending on the grower's needs, without any issues. Moreover, it can be stored in chambers without any issues.
Rojo Brillante (left) Vs. Ernesto (right), on 7 November
Mateu Chilet, head of the Department for Development at Genesis Innovation, points out that "Ernesto can be very interesting both for consumers, who will be able to consistently enjoy premium-sized kaki fruits, as well as for producers, who will be able to increase their harvest volumes and avoid having to carry out thinnings, to discard fruit or to get low prices for small calibre fruits. With the Russian market closed and with the tight margins of the latest Rojo Brillante campaigns, any improvement that can be introduced can be a crucial competitive advantage for the growers."
In the technical evaluations carried out over several years, it has been observed that the Ernesto has no seeds and does not pollinate other varieties.
It acquires a very attractive deep red colour when it is ripe and has a firm and fleshy pulp.
Chilet adds that "Ernesto's trees do not need any specific care compared to what producers already do with the Rojo Brillante, so growing this new variety will be very easy for them. Moreover, it works very well both with the usual Lotus and Virginiana patterns and with the grafting on Rojo Brillante trees. In the same way, the pruning guidelines are the same as those recommended for the Rojo Brillante."
Ernesto has joined Maxim (ultra-early, non-astringent variety) in the catalogue of kaki varieties that Genesis Innovation sells exclusively. The number of hectares that will go on sale are limited, according to Chilet, "to avoid oversupply, which is one of the key factors that leads to the depreciation of the product."
There are already plants available for this season. For more information and to make reservations, you can contact the Genesis Innovation Group team via www.genesisinnovationgroup.es or by calling +34 963 46 49 15 and +34 659 104 997.
Publication date: 1/17/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: