Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Pacific Northwest apple growers
Lots of choices for U.S. apple lovers
Growers in the Columbia Basin have no reason to be dissatisfied with the 2017 apple season. Consumers also have reason to be satisfied with the choices available to them in the stores, according to apple industry experts. The 2017 crop was estimated at about 142 million boxes, almost -but not quite- a Washington record.
Consumers are benefiting, and not just from the abundance of fruit. There are so many choices now. Currently the export market is good for Red Delicious, Gala, Fuji and Granny Smith varieties. Growers from Washington have benefited from the relatively small apple crop in Europe, and small crops in New York and Michigan.
And then -according to columbiabasinherald.com-the market for organic apples continues to expand. More growers and apple processors-marketers are experimenting with proprietary varieties. For those parties, these are particularly interesting times.
Publication date: 1/17/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: