Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Stable market for Sicilian lemons
The citrus fruit campaign is in full swing. We talked to Salvatore Scarcella, President of one of the leading cooperatives dedicated to lemon production.
"The citrus fruit campaign started around one month ago and is going smoothly. The production and commercialisation of Interdonato lemons has ended and went pretty well. We are now focusing on Primofiore and managed to sort the fruit more easily at fair prices, which we hope to do even better over the next few months."
"We currently own around 500 hectares but we are hoping to expand over time so as to commercialise produce with an even better quality."
Markets and competition
The foreign markets and competition are important elements to assess the commercial campaign. Let us analyse interdonato primofiore lemons in detail.
"As regards the market, we can say our lemons are strengthening their position in various countries such as Eastern Europe. Sales are going well in Europe, especially over the last period, and we are hoping to grow our exports to countries like England and France. We know there is a lot of competition from Spain and Argentina, which already occupy a large share of the citrus fruit market."
Sales and demand
Demand is rather stable and, as the campaign is in full swing, producers are rather optimistic. "Performances will definitely grow."
"We feel the quality of Sicilian lemons - with their aroma, juice quantity and presence of oil glands in the peel - makes them more prestigious compared to the produce from competitors. C.A.I. aims at commercialising superior lemons and we hope our clients are aware of the purchase they are making."
It is not a case that the best Sicilian lemons are exported while, on the domestic market, we often find imported products of a lower quality.
Publication date: 1/16/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: