Job offersmore »
- Senior Banana Ripener - Swords, North County Dublin
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
Top 5 - yesterday
- "New melon programmes from Honduras are a nice addition"
- World Vegetable Map 2018: More than just a local affair
- Drones and laser labels for sustainable banana production
- An Australian first, blood oranges processed for Sicilian customers
- Mexico: Avocados from Jalisco will enter the US, regardless of what happens to the NAFTA
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Liverpool's Wholesale Fruit, Veg and Flower Market finds a new homeAfter serving the people of Merseyside for more than 50 years, the Liverpool Wholesale Fruit, Vegetable and Flower Market is closing today. Next Monday it will move to a new home.
The Wholesale Fruit, Veg and Flower Market in Old Swan saw declining trade, and the 21 acre site was really run-down. So revitalisation was extremely necessary; this will take the form of a move to a five acre, £7 million purpose-built site in Stonebridge Cross, Gillmoss.
Krista Oates, transition manager for Liverpool City Council, stresses: “The move is absolutely vital. The market has been here since 1964 and the traders are in desperate need of better facilities.”
According to a liverpoolecho.co.uk article, the vast Edge Lane site from 1964 until today was a hive of trading activity, serving market stalls, shops and restaurants throughout Merseyside and beyond. Fruit and vegetables arrived in Liverpool from far and beyond: from farms in nearby places including Tarleton and Hesketh Bank, from Europe and from as far afield as New Zealand.
Publication date: 1/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: