Job offersmore »
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Spain: Sentinel II optical sorting machine debuts on television
- Spain: Organic food consumption continues to grow
- Foreign trade characterized by banking measures and import regulation
- It’s Fresh! secures $10 million investment from AgroFresh
- Firms announce deeper collaboration on M&A's in produce sector
Exchange ratesmore »
Ecuadorian banana ripener in SwedenAgroban Nordic is the first banana ripener with Ecuadorian capital abroad. It started operating in Helsingborg, Sweden, at the end of 2017 and will allow the production of the Ecuadorian Banana Regional Corporation (Agroban) to reach that market under its own brand.
The ripener has already received a first container with fruit from the María María farm, located in the province of Los Ríos.
Matz Fahlander, executive director of the Swedish company, said that the goal this year is to import six containers per week from Ecuador.
This project was born about three years ago, following a commercial mission organised by the Commercial Office of the Export Promotion and Investment Institute Pro Ecuador in Sweden. Pernilla Wingårdh, Director of Marketing and Sales of Agroban Nordic, visited Ecuador and met the representatives of Agroban who eventually became her partners.
Gustavo Marún, president of Agroban in Ecuador, explained that "more than two years of talks have been needed for the project to consolidate."
"We sell Sweden a sustainable production concept; for that reason, we are convinced that we are going to gain ground in that market, not only because of the quality of the fruit, but because it is socially, environmentally and economically sustainable," he added.
For her part Pernilla Wingårdh stressed that Agroban Nordic aims for "consumers to know more about the traceability of the product and about the farms that supply the products," thereby establishing a direct connection between producers and consumers.
In 2016, Sweden imported Ecuadorian bananas worth USD 21.57 million, while as of October 2017, the fruit's exports were worth USD 33.47 million. It is important to note that Ecuador became the second largest supplier of bananas in the Swedish market, only behind the Dominican Republic.
Publication date: 1/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: