Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ecuadorian banana ripener in SwedenAgroban Nordic is the first banana ripener with Ecuadorian capital abroad. It started operating in Helsingborg, Sweden, at the end of 2017 and will allow the production of the Ecuadorian Banana Regional Corporation (Agroban) to reach that market under its own brand.
The ripener has already received a first container with fruit from the María María farm, located in the province of Los Ríos.
Matz Fahlander, executive director of the Swedish company, said that the goal this year is to import six containers per week from Ecuador.
This project was born about three years ago, following a commercial mission organised by the Commercial Office of the Export Promotion and Investment Institute Pro Ecuador in Sweden. Pernilla Wingårdh, Director of Marketing and Sales of Agroban Nordic, visited Ecuador and met the representatives of Agroban who eventually became her partners.
Gustavo Marún, president of Agroban in Ecuador, explained that "more than two years of talks have been needed for the project to consolidate."
"We sell Sweden a sustainable production concept; for that reason, we are convinced that we are going to gain ground in that market, not only because of the quality of the fruit, but because it is socially, environmentally and economically sustainable," he added.
For her part Pernilla Wingårdh stressed that Agroban Nordic aims for "consumers to know more about the traceability of the product and about the farms that supply the products," thereby establishing a direct connection between producers and consumers.
In 2016, Sweden imported Ecuadorian bananas worth USD 21.57 million, while as of October 2017, the fruit's exports were worth USD 33.47 million. It is important to note that Ecuador became the second largest supplier of bananas in the Swedish market, only behind the Dominican Republic.
Publication date: 1/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: