Job offersmore »
- Senior Banana Ripener - Swords, North County Dublin
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
Top 5 - yesterday
- "New melon programmes from Honduras are a nice addition"
- World Vegetable Map 2018: More than just a local affair
- Drones and laser labels for sustainable banana production
- An Australian first, blood oranges processed for Sicilian customers
- Mexico: Avocados from Jalisco will enter the US, regardless of what happens to the NAFTA
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
New supermarket quality assurance scheme
Frustrated Australian growers threaten a boycottWith the implementation of the Harmonised Australian Retailer Produce Scheme (HARPS), a streamlined process for selling to multiple supermarket retailers should have been realised.
In fact, the process has been anything but harmonious; small to medium-sized family farming operations are reporting they have been pushed to the brink by unnecessary red tape and extra costs.
Some of the requirements (such as wearing beard nets, banning Stanley knives and even instructing workers not to bring peanut butter sandwiches for lunch) prompted some growers to threaten to boycott HARPS if changes were not made.
According to an www.abc.net.au article, Tristan Kitchner, who headed up the project team, said the industry and major retailers were willing to work with growers to find a way forward but it was important to not lose sight of the benefits. "It's about a culturally embedded process within the business whereby food safety flows through every aspect of the business.
Publication date: 1/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: