Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kericho County, Kenya:
Kenyan farmer's passion for passion fruitsIn 2016, Ernest Lang’at started a project on a small piece of land. The Kericho County farmer heard there was high demand for passion fruits in the local and international markets, and knew he wanted to venture into it.
“I started the project January 2016 and it has performed better than I expected.” Lang’at told the Star. Due to the good response of the market he has made a good profit and has expanded the project to three acres within a short time. A large number of farmers in this region prefer planting tea, which is its main cash crop.
Much of Lang’ats yield originally went to waste, but luckily a friend introduced him to the Emerald Company Ltd in Nairobi which purchases ripe fruits direct from farmers and exports to Uganda, Belgium and Finland. “Weekly, I can get an income of up to Sh100,000 (810 euros) and monthly I project earnings of at least Sh400,000 (3,245 euros). This can easily translate to Sh4.8 million (340,000 euros) annually,” he told The Star.
Lang’at says he chose the purple granadilla variety because they do much better in the area, mature faster and are also resistant to many diseases.
Publication date: 1/11/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: