Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- The new Spring Sunshine mandarin could be the world's tastiest
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Average season for radicchio
There is a lot of produce on the market because of the weather. Prices are lower than in the past season, but vary a lot depending on type and quality. They are indeed not satisfactory, but aren't the total disaster they have been in certain years.
This is how Roberto Bolla from Bolla Ferdinando describes the current radicchio situation. "We produce and commercialise all types of radicchio. 70% is our own crops, while the rest is collected from partners. Prices have fluctuated, as November was characterised by oversupplies but there have also been better periods. It hasn't been an exceptional season so far, luckily quality and shelf-life are good."
"We sell most of the produce to retailers. Also thanks to new clients, we are happy that we are managing to place the produce quickly. We handle considerable volumes with a turnover of around €20 million a year."
The entrepreneur adds that it's not easy to please everyone. Companies like his often find themselves between a rock and a hard place, as retailers focus on low prices while producers need to deal with fixed costs.
"We extended our production areas so we can be available on the market practically 12 months a year. Daily direct relationships are essential when dealing with retailers, you can't afford to go missing for a few months, as competitors take your place."
Via Perazzolo 13/b
37032 Monteforte D'Alpone (VR) - Italy
Tel.: +39 (0)45 7612025
Fax: +39 (0)45 6102005
Publication date: 1/11/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: