Job offersmore »
- VP Sales and Marketing - Warsaw
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"Less fibrous and more tasty"
China: Soft fleshed ginger is a new market favourite
"Soft fleshed ginger is a new strain of ginger that was introduced from Taiwan in recent years. It is highly adaptable, produces less flowers, and has a high yield. The production areas of this ginger variety are predominantly distributed in Fujian, Guangxi, and peripheral areas. Under regular weather conditions the ginger is planted in March or around Qingming festival in early April. In the period from the middle of August until December each ginger can be harvested based on the varied requirements of edibility or processing." This is according to Mr. Ye Qiaowei of Fujian Fresh Harvest Trade Co., Ltd.
Recently harvested fresh ginger
Conveyor-belt selected ginger
"In 2017, the surface area of Guangxi devoted to growing fresh ginger expanded, but the harvest suffered from extreme weather conditions, so that in the end the production volume was on the same level as last season. Based on estimates, Guangxi will export a similar or slightly smaller volume of fresh ginger this year than last year. The export price in July and August has slightly increased compared to the same period last year. In a later stage the supply of ginger destined for export will become strained. This is mainly due to a greatly reduced output of fresh ginger in Anqiu, Shandong, as a result of much rain and high temperatures."
Soft fleshed ginger
"The market for Guangxi ginger shows three strong aspects, compared to the market for fresh ginger from Anqiu, Shandong: first, Guangxi ginger is less fibrous than Anqiu fresh ginger, which makes it easier to process and use. Furthermore, the taste is better. Second, the natural environment of Guangxi is better suited for the cultivation of ginger when it comes to hours of sunshine and volume of rainfall. And third, Guangxi ginger is better able to meet the requirements for restriction of pesticide residue in products aimed at export."
Old ginger products
"This company owns about 20 hectares of production ground for ginger in Fujian. Since the growth of ginger depends on natural conditions such as climate and soil, we also select and purchase ginger from Guangxi in addition to the ginger we grow ourselves. At this stage we sell our ginger directly in coastal cities of Fujian and Guangdong. At the same time, our products are also sold through large exporters in Japan, Southeast Asia, and European countries. In the future, we hope to realize direct export with Southeast Asian low-level markets as a starting point. We also hope to develop online business. I believe our fresh ginger will rely on a sufficient supply and a unique variety to spread far and wide."
Fujian Fresh Harvest Trade Co., Ltd.
Contact number +86 152 6013 2603
Publication date: 1/10/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: