Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Israel: Sustainability support for Orri Jaffa farmersThe Plant Production and Marketing Board of Israel is helping farmers of the Orri Jaffa mandarin to grow better, safer Orri Jaffa fruit. The support will help Orri Jaffa meet the rapidly growing demand for its branded mandarin.
Israel’s climate is typically hot, with minimum rain and water sources. This makes it challenging to grow high-quality mandarin varieties. “We help local citrus growers develop and expand their businesses by offering technical know-how and business support,” explains Tal Amit, head of the citrus sector at Israel’s Plant Production and Marketing Board. “These efforts lead to a strong, stable demand for the Orri Jaffa brand and help ensure the Israeli growers’ success.”
The Plant Production and Marketing Board of Israel created a comprehensive long-term plan to help secure the Orri Jaffa brand in the international market. The plan is designed to:
- Support the local farmers from the planting stage to production with training, including technical support on how to grow and harvest high-quality Orri Jaffa mandarins.
- Define more stringent standards for the Orri Jaffa mandarin to significantly minimize waste.
- Create education and training programs and events, and provide on-site support in the orchards.
- Build strong branding for the Orri Jaffa mandarin in Europe, China, Japan, and North America.
- Find and license reliable partners in the Southern hemisphere to provide high-quality Orri Jaffa mandarins in the summer to ensure a safe, sustainable and consistent year-round supply to retailers worldwide.
- Develop new distribution outlets (such as online websites) in countries such as China and Japan.
- Represent farmers to government officials and regulators to ensure growers get maximum support in terms of employment, VAT relief and other assistance to compete and increase sales in the international market.
- Promote on-site tastings of Orri Jaffa mandarins at selected leading European retailers.
- Conduct dozens of research projects in conjunction with the Volcani Research Center in Bet-Dagan, Israel, and other agricultural institutions, to continue to improve mandarin quality, find new varieties, fight fruit waste, and make Orri Jaffa production more sustainable.
For more information:
Mr. Tal Amit
The Plant Production and Marketing Board
Publication date: 1/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: