Job offersmore »
- Senior Banana Ripener - Swords, North County Dublin
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
Top 5 - yesterday
- "New melon programmes from Honduras are a nice addition"
- World Vegetable Map 2018: More than just a local affair
- Drones and laser labels for sustainable banana production
- An Australian first, blood oranges processed for Sicilian customers
- Mexico: Avocados from Jalisco will enter the US, regardless of what happens to the NAFTA
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Romania: Exotic fruit consumption exceeds that of pork meatAccording to official statistics, in 2016, Romanians consumed an average of over 34 kilos of bananas, oranges and kiwis per person, compared to the 33 kg of pork meat. The same data reveal that there has also been a record consumption of cucumbers. Nutritionists believe that their repeated calls to promote a healthy diet are starting to work.
Nutritionist Şerban Damian said that "I think nutritional education is starting to have an impact on the food choices of Romanians, who are increasingly encouraged to consume fresh fruits and vegetables and to give up pasta, sugar and processed products containing such sugars."
When it comes to vegetables, beans, potatoes, cabbage and onions record slight drops in consumption. However, cucumbers have reached record levels, with more than 9.5 kilos consumed per person in a year. That is three times more than in 1990, and most of the production is Romanian.
Publication date: 1/10/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: