Job offersmore »
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Spain: Sentinel II optical sorting machine debuts on television
- Spain: Organic food consumption continues to grow
- Foreign trade characterized by banking measures and import regulation
- It’s Fresh! secures $10 million investment from AgroFresh
- Firms announce deeper collaboration on M&A's in produce sector
Exchange ratesmore »
'Black King brand' launched in 2015
Croatian black garlic is a hitSamir and Diana Burnić have created an unusual and profitable business. They do not only grow garlic, but also ferment it in controlled conditions in a chamber they have designed themselves. The black garlic, under the Black King (Crni Kralj) brand, has won over Croatian consumers and can now also be found on the shelves of specialised shops in Austria and Germany.
According to Burnić, the path to success was not easy, taking them almost two years to develop a good product. “ Shops were overwhelmed with tasteless garlic from China, and at the same time, we read an article about black garlic being a superfood, so we started designing a fermentation chamber in which garlic is stored under strictly controlled conditions, temperature and humidity. This is a quite complex process.”
Their products have been sold in shops since summer 2015, and the whole project employs family members and friends. They work with more than 50 healthy food stores and many restaurants. They offer natural garlic and garlic in packages of three different sizes, 15, 30 and 200 grams, and their annual production is about 400 kilograms of black garlic.
According to an article on total-croatia-news.com, the Burnićs now have about 6,000 square metres of land, and are not using any chemicals, pesticides or artificial fertilisers, but only natural products.
Publication date: 1/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: