Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
'Black King brand' launched in 2015
Croatian black garlic is a hitSamir and Diana Burnić have created an unusual and profitable business. They do not only grow garlic, but also ferment it in controlled conditions in a chamber they have designed themselves. The black garlic, under the Black King (Crni Kralj) brand, has won over Croatian consumers and can now also be found on the shelves of specialised shops in Austria and Germany.
According to Burnić, the path to success was not easy, taking them almost two years to develop a good product. “ Shops were overwhelmed with tasteless garlic from China, and at the same time, we read an article about black garlic being a superfood, so we started designing a fermentation chamber in which garlic is stored under strictly controlled conditions, temperature and humidity. This is a quite complex process.”
Their products have been sold in shops since summer 2015, and the whole project employs family members and friends. They work with more than 50 healthy food stores and many restaurants. They offer natural garlic and garlic in packages of three different sizes, 15, 30 and 200 grams, and their annual production is about 400 kilograms of black garlic.
According to an article on total-croatia-news.com, the Burnićs now have about 6,000 square metres of land, and are not using any chemicals, pesticides or artificial fertilisers, but only natural products.
Publication date: 1/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: